Saturday 9 May 2015

Friday Fun Day

Yeah, yeah; I know it's Saturday but there was no way I was writing this up on Friday.

Fridays are the day my dog club practices 'Dog Sports!'; name coined by a friend of mine. Ahab still remembers how to do Scent Hurdle despite not having practiced for a few weeks. We were focused on Agility in preparation for Pet Expo for several weeks. Soccer doesn't do Scent Hurdle as he just doesn't seem to have the brain power. Unfortunately, Ahab can't run in a Scent Hurdle tournament because he's missing a paw.

Which totally doesn't make any sense as three legged/pawed dogs can run in Flyball which has to be harder on the animal than Scent Hurdle would be. There is a proposed change to the rules that would allow him to run in independent tournaments, that is, ones not sanctioned by the CKC; but the membership still has to vote on it and I don't know how much opposition there is. As I understand it there is a strong "pure breed dogs only" group and the CKC does not allow handicapped dogs to participate.

I understand there are concerns about abuse towards an animal that truly cannot do what the owner wants but I know Ahab can do this and there is NO WAY I'd let him run if I thought he was in pain. Plus, he will only ever run if there is a height setter (small) dog to get the jumps to the lowest setting. Since most of the team is height setters this shouldn't be a problem.

Knitting

Made some progress on a pair of socks, I suspect these will go to Mom for Mother's Day. This will hardly be a shock to her as she usually gets socks.

Further progress on the Knitting Board Blanket. I really need to come up with a better name for this project.


The technique of working a knitting board is quite neat, especially for larger projects. I can see how one could use multiple colours on each row and cables and different stitches, even lace, are possible according to the books.

Also, got some yarn for an Ugly Christmas Sweater, it's cheapo cotton from Walmart so it fits the "Ugly" part perfectly. I do plan to do an intricate intarsia sweater, hopefully this year, but I couldn't resist this yarn; the ugliness just called to me.

Check this out - Franklin is always funny, he has a new post on the Lion Brand blog

No comments:

Post a Comment