Sunday 3 September 2017

Well Dang

I decided to whip up a quick Buster Blanket with some old Red Heart from my stash, I was hoping to use it all up.


Clearly, that didn't quite go according to plan. There's just enough left that I can't justify throwing it out even though I don't much like it. Maybe I'll think of something else to do with it.

I did finish the blanket, its currently blocking. Its got a couple of holes in the center so you can use it with a car-seat to keep the baby warm. I saw on the evening news a few months ago that a child should not wear a thick jacket when buckled into a car seat as the belts won't secure properly and the child can be ejected from the car seat in the event of a crash. It occurred to me that using a blanket could be problematic too as the child could (let's face it - will) kick it off, the holes allow this blanket to be buckled in with the child keeping it from landing on the car floor. I'm hardly the first to think of this as Ravelry is awash with patterns for this sort of baby blanket.

There isn't much pattern to this blanket, I just worked two rows of single crochet, one of double crochet, and two more single crochet in yellow. Then one row single crochet, one row double crochet, and one single crochet in blue. Mostly anyway. The center section is a bit different in order to make the holes come out centered. Final measurements are 51cm X 66cm (20" X 26"). I will also say that crochet goes a lot faster than knitting, and I need to do more of it. There are things knitting is just not good at.

Not really a super fan of this yarn, it was purchased years ago to make sweaters for my dogs and I ended up with plenty left over. Enough to make this as well as the blanket below.

Pattern: Improvised
Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver
Hook: 6.5mm
Gauge: 9.6 stitches and 8 rows = 10 cm

Before Blocking

During Blocking


Current Weather
20C and partly cloudy. Today we get a break from the hot, hot weather we've been having after a north wind blew in late yesterday; bonus - it blew all the BC smoke away. Supposed to warm right back up in a day or so though.

No comments:

Post a Comment